The Treasurer's Office collects sales and use tax and issues license plates and registration documents for motor vehicles. For added convenience to taxpayers, we also perform other functions through agreements with the responsible agencies. The following is a listing of most functions of the office:
- Collect sales and use tax on motor vehicle purchases
- Collect other sales and use tax as necessary to comply with other regulations (i.e. on boats, ATV's and snowmobiles)
- Collect mobile machinery tax and issue appropriate decals
- Issue license plates and corresponding vehicle registration documents
- Issue temporary registrations for non-residents and newly transferred vehicles
- Issue temporary worker decals to out of state workers
- Issue 48 hour In-transit permits
- Selling agent for ORV and Snowmobile Decals
New Wyoming Registrations
For new vehicle registrations, you will need:
- A copy of your Wyoming title; or the title number of your Wyoming title
- A copy of the dealer invoice if the car was purchased from a dealer
- A bill of sale if the car was purchased from a private individual
- A copy of your previous registration if the car was registered previously in another state
- Proof of insurance
- A copy of your current IRS Form 2290 if your vehicle is commercial and weighs 55,000 pounds or more
- If your vehicle is leased; your lease agreement
- The proper paperwork to allow the up-front sales tax exemption if the vehicle is leased
Renewing Your Vehicle Registration
For renewals of vehicle registrations, you will need:
- Registration renewal card or previous registration. If you have neither, jot down your license plate number and give that to us.
- Proof of liability insurance
- A copy of your current IRS Form 2290 if your vehicle is a commercial vehicle weighing more than 55,000 pounds.
The Clerk's Officehandles all issues regarding vehicle titles
- Niobrara County Clerk
424 South Elm Street
P. O. Box 420
Lusk, WY 82225
The Wyoming Department of Transportation handles all issues regarding driver's licenses. Their office is located at 905 South Main Street in Lusk. They have limited office hours at their Lusk office. For more information, please call (307) 334-2098 or (307) 532-1270.
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department registers boats. For information regarding boat registration contact:
The County Treasurer's Office does register the boat trailer and collects the sales tax on the boat if not paid at the time of purchase.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please contact the Treasurer's Office at (307) 334-2432.