Untitled Document





























Keri Thompson

Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 90
Lusk, WY 82225-0090

Physical Address:
424 South Elm Street
Lusk, WY 82225


(307) 334-2432

(307) 334-3013

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM


Comodo SSL
County Treasurer - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I get my tax bill?
A: Tax notices are typically sent to all taxpayers on or before the last day of August. Some years it may be a little bit earlier, some may be a little later. Unfortunately, a few notices may get lost or are wrongly delivered. If you do not receive your tax notice(s) by the middle of September, please call us at (307) 334-2432 and we'll gladly send out copies. You may also view your current tax bill online by visiting here:  https://itax.tylertech.com/NiobraraWY/

Q: When are my taxes due?
A: Taxes are payable in two installments. The first installment is delinquent after November 10, and the second installment is delinquent after May 10 of the following year. The law does allow us to forgive the interest due on the first installment if you pay your entire year's tax on or before December 31.

Q: Why is the tax bill for my property in the previous owner's name?
A: Taxes are assessed to the owner of the property on January 1 of the tax year. If your property was purchased and the deed was recorded after January 1, it will appear in the old owner's name. Consequently, you may not receive a tax bill. Please call us at (307) 334-2432 and we'll gladly send one to you.

Q: Why do I receive a bill for my property taxes when I have an escrow?
A: State law requires us to send the bill to the owner of record on January 1. You should contact our office or your financial institution to verify that your taxes have been paid.

Q: I bought a car from an individual. How long can I drive on the title?
A: When ownership transfers and the title is not held by a bank or other financial institution or not transferred from an auctioneer of vehicles, the title is to be dated and delivered to the transferee at the time of delivering the vehicle. Reference W. S. 31-2-104(a). The transferee has 45 days to operate on a properly executed title. Reference W. S. 31-2-201(a)(ii).

Q: When shall a person operate on a notarized bill of sale?

1)When a title is being held by a bank or other financial institution and the title is not available at the time the vehicle is delivered. NOTE: If a vehicle dealer does not provide a notarized bill of sale to the transferee, they shall provide a dealer's invoice in lieu of the bill of sale.

2)When a vehicle auctioneer transfers ownership of a vehicle in the course of his business as a vehicle auctioneer.

Under both circumstances, the transferee has 60 days to operate on a notarized bill of sale or dealer's invoice. Reference W. S. 31-2-201(1)(ii).

In both instances above, a title shall be delivered to the transferee within 30 days of the date of delivery of the vehicle. Reference W. S. 31-2-104(h).

Q: I got a new car. Can I get credit for the plates I bought for my old car because I don't drive it anymore?
A: No. We cannot give credit for transfer from a car that you still own, even if you no longer drive that car. Most of the tax you're paying on your car is not a use tax -it's an ownership tax, similar to the tax on your house. Actually driving the car or not doesn't make a difference.

Q: I sold my car and my plates are not expired. Can I get a refund of my registration fees?
A: No. Wyoming Statutes state that there shall be no refund of registration fees paid.

Q: Is there a time limit to pay my sales tax?
A: Yes, you must pay your sales tax within 65 calendar days from the date of purchase. That date will be extended to the next business day if we are closed on the 65th day. If the tax is not paid on or before the 65th day, there will be a penalty of $25. If payment occurs on day 75 or thereafter the penalty will be the greater of $25 or 10% of the tax due. Interest will also be charged at 1% per month or any fraction of a month beginning with day 66.

Q: My vehicle is licensed in another Wyoming county. My registration expires today. Can I renew my registration in Niobrara County so I don`t have to drive home with expired tabs?
A: Yes, you can renew your Wyoming registration in any county. All you need is your last Wyoming registration and proof of current insurance.

Q: If I sell my vehicle, should I keep my Wyoming plates?
A: Yes. According to Wyoming Statutes, upon transfer of ownership of a vehicle, the registration expires and the original owner shall immediately remove the license plates from the vehicle. If you plan to replace your vehicle or trailer, you can transfer the plates and any remaining credit to the new vehicle or trailer.





















© Niobrara County Wyoming. All rights reserved. Hosted at Wyoming Websites by Jub Jub
Comodo SSL